History of the New Inn
The building started life as a "church house" belonging to the nearby church. In 1734 much of the building was destroyed by fire and was rebuilt as a "new" inn.
Kelly's Directory records that in 1881 the landlady was a widow from Southampton called Emma Shotter who shared the pub with her children Clement and Selina.
For a time, beer for the pub was brewed in the big stone house opposite known as The Maltsters.
Parts of the original "church house" can still be seen in the public bar.